Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First Day of School!



Today was Bek's first day of second grade.
Waaahhhh!! I am not one of those moms who can't wait for school to start. Well of course I had the occasional days where I really wanted my solitude and just wanted to go to Target in peace, but for the most part I want to keep him around and even worse I don't want him to grow up! I know it's an inevitable part of parenting and possibly even unhealthy to want such things, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. It's not the milestone like first grade or kindergarten was, it's just regular old second grade. It's just proof that time is marching, no, marching is too slow, more like zipping - along. And he is growing up. I am reminded of a great quote:

“In the end these things matter most: How well did you love? How fully did you love?
How deeply did you learn to let go?” – The Buddha

Each year you can feel them gaining more independence, becoming more and more whole people on their own. They need you less and less. And it is during this time that you should be learning to let go 'deeply'. It is not an easy lesson to learn and a class that I'd prefer to skip!

Fortunately, I have Baby Girl to focus on, which helps tremendously! I know, the Buddha probably never said something such as "Fill empty space in your heart with another child". But I believe the Buddha was childless as well, so what does he know? Actually maybe when he was Siddhartha he had children, but when he became enlightened he did not...but I am getting way off track.

This adoption, like the last one that went uncompleted, has served as a tremendous salve to my heart. Today, instead of looking over baby pictures or moping around in the quietness of the house, I can get some paperwork completed or make yet another annoying phone call to Ohio Department of Job and Family services to pester them about WHERE our clearance reports are!!

No comments: