Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What's Goin On

Many people have asked the basics....you know So What's Going On? Do You Know When You'll Travel? How Long Do You Have to Be There? Do You Know if You Are Getting a Boy or a Girl? WHAT? You don't want to read about my book reviews, my Pa Jun recipe experiment, or my ranting about more paperwork and homestudy updates??
ok so...I'll take a moment to answer the most asked question I get:
WHEN WILL YOU TRAVEL?
Well it's anyone's guess really, but the estimate is next Spring or early Summer of 2011. This could be wishful thinking or it could be way overestimated. Anything can happen in International Adoption but that is a partially educated guess.
HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO BE THERE?
We are required to be there for 3 days. Since it is such a loooonnng flight (close to 20 hours I believe, maybe 30 with connections?) and seems a waste to go all that way and turn around 3 days later, and we would like to really see our future son's birth country, we'll stay for a week.
DO YOU KNOW IF YOU ARE GETTING A BOY OR A GIRL? CAN YOU REQUEST?
You can request the gender. Girls take longer, as for whatever reason more families request a girl. We left our request "open to either gender". Nine times out of ten this will mean you will be given a boy.
HOW OLD WILL YOUR BABY BE?
He will be around 6-9 months when we receive his picture and information. We will then wait for our Travel Call. He will be around 9-12 months at the time we bring him home.
ARE THE BABIES IN ORPHANAGES?
As I understand it, the majority of babies are with Foster families. This is very good for attachment, but can be very tough on them as far as grieving. The foster family will of course be the only family they've known and certainly they've come to know and love them as such. It will show they can form loving bonds with a singular caregiver. It will show them they can trust someone. But when they are taken away from them and handed to these strange smelling, funny looking, foreign sounding people that will be his parents, it will be very hard on him.
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF STEPHEN KING'S LATEST, "UNDER THE DOME"?
Ok, no one has asked me this. But like many of my other thoughts, I'll tell you anyway. This 1100 page brick of a book has a huge cast of characters, many of whom at only 100 pages into it I cannot keep straight. I love the concept that a giant invisible dome has dropped down on a stereotypically King-esque town of Maine. I even like King's B-movie dialogue from time to time. But it's just too long. I didn't even want to take it up to the cottage for beach reading because I didn't want the extra weight in my suitcase. Does he really think this much diarrhea of the mouth is necessary? I actually want to write him a letter I am so annoyed with the length of this book. Great idea (even if The Simpsons already did it), great typical King prose (sometimes it's so bad it's good), and excellent apocalyptic/horror/sci-fi theme. It just needs to be cut in half. I keep going back to Tracy Chevalier's "Remarkable Creatures" (excellent) and finished Julie Kenner's "Carpe Demon" (silly, fun, great beach book) in between. I'll keep at it but only because of my compulsive I Must Finish This Book way of thinking.

No comments: