Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. ~Mark Twain

So I just finished two great beach books, although I did not read them at the beach and find that to be annoying. I can never get comfortable and there's the whole skin damage thing, sand going everywhere, argh. But I digress...if you need to mentally check out for a while, check these out:
Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby http://amzn.com/1594488878
If you liked Nick Hornby's High Fidelity you will love Juliet, Naked. He really gets back to his musical roots. It's funny, sweet, engaging and hard to put down, but not impossible (so that you completely avoid reality, responsibilities, etc - a bad habit i have when reading books).
Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth http://amzn.com/0399156356
I got this at the library after reading about it on one of NPR's book feeds. Had I not read about it on NPR and just saw the cover at the bookstore I'm not sure I would've read it. But you know the thing about books and covers and all. The subtitle reads "The Ultimate Secret. The Ultimate Agent. The President's Vampire". Now I like a good vampire story as much as the next Team Edward gurl but the president's vampire, really? Even though parts were predictable and even laughable, I couldn't put it down. Mash up Supernatural, True Blood, 24 and the X-Files and there you have it!
And that concludes today's book reviews!

No comments: